Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pulled Into The Canyon - A California Plein Air Landscape by Southern California Artist, Marian Fortunati

Canyon Worn
© Marian Fortunati
10"x8" Oil on RayMar canvas panel

Contact me HERE if you're interested in this small painting. $160 +s/h

If you are an artist - you know the feeling.   It's a tugging - a need - a longing which makes you bypass all the chores and other things that should be and need to be done.  It seems to have been so long since I painted outside in the Channel Islands or anywhere else outside for that matter.

I have painted, of course.  I've happily painted away in my studio trying to finish up some studio work I hope to submit to upcoming shows, but obligations and weird Southern California weather have kept me from painting outside.

I had set my sights on painting outside on Monday when Tyler was back in school.  Then, unexpected showers came on Sunday early evening.  (What is UP with our "sunny" SoCal weather??)  I actually like the rain, but I'm unaccustomed to painting outside when it's raining.  Well on Monday morning it looked like the showers had passed, (YAY) but the weatherman was predicting high winds.  Sigh..

I spent the early morning hours finishing up jobs I had promised to do for one of my local art clubs, the San Fernando Valley Art Club.  I finished by about 10:30 and said to myself... Go out and paint!

So I went to the closest beautiful spot I could think of - Caballero Canyon - just 5 minutes from my door.  I tramped down into the canyon (which was mercifully blocking most of the wind since it is a closed canyon) and set up in my favorite spot.  It seems I have painted a similar scene many, many times... but I like it.

Here are a few of my paintings of this spot (or not too far away) in Caballero Canyon:


One of the things I have probably heard from every teacher I've ever painted outdoors with is the need to decide what you want to paint then decide WHY you want to paint it and how you want to paint it.   I remember Frank Gardner especially hammering in the WHY part.   Well I decided to paint those very interesting and unique water worn rocks once again.  WHY??  -Because they are so different.  -Because they are rocks and I MUST learn to paint rocks (LOL) -Because they are set in a place where the background is ever-changing.  -Because they are mysterious... They have obviously been worn by running water over a long period of time, but there is NEVER water running in this area when I venture into the canyon... only trickles at most in a creek several yards away.

I painted until hunger and a never ceasing clock brought me out of the canyon.   Often the canyon is full of hikers and mountain bikers but today only one couple chugged by throwing back nice compliments.   I think the rain of the previous evening may have put off the usual people who enjoy the canyon.  I had dragged out an 8x10 canvas panel that for some reason I had toned with a dark green.  That initially caused me some issues and I'll probably not use that for a tone color again.  However, once I covered up most of the canvas, I was pretty happy with my river rocks.


I love painting outside!   - And oh, by the way... I hope you had a Happy International Artists' Day!

No comments:

LinkWithin