Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Restful Place by Southern California Artist, Marian Fortunati


A Restful Place by Marian Fortunati


A Restful Place

© Marian Fortunati
12" x 9" Oil on RayMar Linen Panel

After learning a bit about how All Soul's Day is celebrated in some cultures, I realized that in addition to feeling the sadness of a loved one's passing, it's really a good thing use the day to celebrate their lives and be happy for the time they were with us.   I think it's healthy.

In Mexico they set up alters with food and other things to honor those loved ones who have passed.  Sometime they have mariachis.  I may not be quite ready for dancing or mariachis, but on Monday I decided to visit Mom.   I bought some yellow flowers and went by Forest Lawn.  Mom passed away late in 2007.  Although we both think of Mom often, Dad and I also visit occasionally together -- usually on her birthday or Mother's Day.   Each time we go, we always say that it is a beautiful spot and it has a wonderful view.  I always think it would be a great place to paint because of the gorgeous eucalyptus trees and the lovely valley view.  However, I'm usually too emotional to paint.  I painted this view  which is a bit down the hill.  A beautiful chapel and a row of gorgeous eucalyptus grace the lawn.

When I was on the trip to the Channel Islands, Steve Mirich told us about a fabulously large painting which can be seen at Forest Lawn.  As it turns out, this painting isn't at the Hollywood Hills Forest Lawn where I visited on Monday.   The Hollywood Hills Park DOES have the world's largest historic mosaic called the Birth Of Liberty which I visited again on Monday.  Schoolchildren come to the Park for tours to learn about  our nation's independence and about some of our early leaders through reenactments and stories told about the larger-than-life-sized bronze statues of Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln.

No comments:

LinkWithin