Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Underwater Ballet by Southern California Artist, Marian Fortunati

Underwater Ballet
© Marian Fortunati
6" x 6" Oil on RayMar Panel


When I was enjoying a recent adventure to the Channel Islands with artist, David Gallup, I had the fabulous opportunity to scuba in and around a colony of playful sea lions.

At first several of us visited these curious creatures from on top of the water riding in a kayak. Later, I donned a hideously tight wet-suit to brave the cold Southern California waters and visited them in a more up-close and personal way.

The sea lions were as intrigued by those of us swimming in and among them as we were by them. Individual animals would come up and peer into our masks and blow bubbles. Together they would swim down and around one another and the long columns of kelp that gracefully bobbed in their watery world. As they played and swam with one another, their twirls reminded me of an underwater ballet... graceful and truly awesome.

It was an experience I never want to forget.  I tried to capture the memory of their "dance" in this little painting.
 
 

No comments:

LinkWithin