Monday, December 26, 2011

September Moon - a Moonrise Plein Air Nocturne -- Santa Cruz Island by Marian Fortunati



September Moon
© Marian Fortunati
10"x8" Oil on RayMar Panel
Click on the link above for
additional details

 
This plein air nocturne was so much fun to paint!!

When David Gallup planned our Channel Islands Adventure each year, he checked to see when we would have full moons.  This September, however, the weather wasn't cooperating.  We had lots of clouds and some fog.  

But on one spectacular night we saw what I thought of as a harvest moon.   The moon peeked through the layers of clouds and each time I looked up from my palette it changed.   I was pretty much just trying to get the canvas covered with my impression of the moonrise before it changed too dramatically.

Isn't this a silly picture?
Painting nocturnes really brings out the
"weird" element I think.

~~~I hope each of you has a wonderful 2012~~~

Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin