Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Pirates' Cove -- A Southern California Coastal Oil Painting by Marian Fortunati



The Pirates' Cove
© Marian Fortunati
8"x10" Oil on Linen Panel

Click on the link above
for additional details.

I paint fairly often at Leo Carrillo Beach State Park.   It is a beautiful beach on the north end of the Malibu coastline in Southern California.

The weather changes.  The seas are sometimes stormy and sometimes calm and the rock formations are varied so that wherever you decide to paint, there is a different scene to create.

One time after I had been painting at Leo Carrillo, my father called me up to tell me that Hewell Houser was doing a program about Leo Carrillo Beach State Park.  Apparently Carrillo was the set of many old movies... (Many giant mutated crabs attacked the world over those coastal rocks!)  I also learned by watching Hewell Houser's program that below where I had generally been painting, there are a series of caves that are referred to as the pirate caves.   So on this day, I went in search of them....  And found the caves and the cove beyond.


George, Maria, Annette and Diane getting
ready for lunch.
The Malibu / Ventura Chapter of the California Art Club held its monthly paint out at Leo Carrillo on Wednesday.   I was eager to go so I could enjoy winter along California's beautiful coastline.   Although the forecasters and predicted cold weather and clouds, it was moderate and clear.  -- Actually it was quite beautiful.   There weren't a lot of painters at the event this time... they probably thought it would be too cold but we all enjoyed ourselves anyway.
I decided to find the pirate caves.   I climbed over large mounds of built up seaweed and lots of rocks and found the caves.   Then I went through a big one and emerged on the other side to find a beautiful little cove where the wet sand was reflecting the cliffs beyond.  My heart did that little pitter patter thing that happens when a painter finds "the spot".   I knew I had to paint it.
While I was busy painting, I left my salad which was in a bag in a plastic container next to a thick jacket on a rock (before the seaweed piles and rocks and the cave.   It's the seagulls that were the pirates!!   They pecked through the plastic container and stole all of the chicken out of my salad.   -- No worries...  I had lots of cabbage and lettuce to eat with my friends when we all broke for lunch.
Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin