Thursday, February 23, 2012

For The Birds - by Marian Fortunati



For The Birds
© Marian Fortunati
20"x16" Oil on RayMar Panel


 
Click on the link above for
more information.

 
"For the Birds" is one of two paintings that I created for a show called "RED" which were juried and curated by art representative, Margaret Danielak, and shown at the Women's City Club at the Historic Blinn House in Pasadena.  It was my favorite of the two juried in because it brought back memories of the beautiful city where I was married.   It was also quite a challenge for me and I was proud of the outcome.

The other painting "Red Umbrella Nocturne" seemed to be a favorite of the visitors at the opening reception and I was thrilled to learn that a collector purchased it.    Although everyone seemed to like Nocturne the best, For The Birds is still my favorite.  (And it's still available.)

A CONFESSION
How often do we read posts about the dangers of being sucked in by email, social media and other internet whimseys.   I confess.  I've become an email junkie.    It's like a Vegas slot machine.   Most days all you get is junk, but every once in a while you get a jackpot in the form of a new client who asks to purchase a painting OR equally thrilling, you get an email like this:


Dear Marian,

Congratulations! Your painting, "For The Birds", was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury's favorite 15% of the entries) in the January 2012 BoldBrush Painting competition.
You may view the FAV15% paintings, including yours:
http://faso.com/boldbrush/fav15/73

This honor means that you might be featured in http://informedcollector.com in the coming months.
Please login to your account and make sure your bio info is current if you want any additional info to run in that article.
Thanks again and congrats again!
Sincerely,

Clint Watson
Software Craftsman and Art Fanatic

PS - Don't forget to enter again THIS month!
Good things like this come just often enough to keep me excited about opening my email.   I guess it's sort of an addiction.  -Happily not too harmful an addiction.    Now back to the easel!  (And try to remember to enter something in the next Boldbrush Contest before the end of the month.)
**********
Would you like to sign up for my free newsletter??  It would come in YOUR email about once a month!
http://marianfortunati.com/email-newsletter

Venice is the city where I met my husband.

It is a city that is beautiful and wonderfully different each time I go back to visit.

When I started this painting I used a reference photo I had taken on a trip in 2007.   On this day Tyler, who was then 7 years old, and I walked all over the city.  I was revisiting favorite places and he was pretty much seeing it for the first time since he was four when he last visited.  Just before I took the photo reference for this painting, I took one of Tyler who was in tears, running from all of the pigeons.   (I figured he'd never forgive me if I used THAT one for a reference.)  
I have an artist friend (Ying Liu) who used the photo as a reference several years back.  She is an amazing artist and did a wonderful job.  At that time I didn't have the nerve to attempt it.

This time I did.   Although I found the mass of pigeons and shadows difficult, I am pleased with how it turned out.  I hope you like it too.
Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin