Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sundown In SoCal by Marian Fortunati



Sundown In SoCal
© Marian Fortunati
9"x9" Oil on Hardboard
  

























Click on the link above
for additional details.

 

Ordinarily I spend most of my time creating.  I paint every day.  I do it because I really enjoy painting -- especially outside en plein air.  I suppose if I had a "day job" it wouldn't matter whether I have a heavy heart.  I would just get up and go to work.   But I've discovered that in order to create a joyous painting, I need to feel joyous inside.    Right now I'm finding it hard to paint.  

I know my Dad would say that I should be celebrating him by enjoying my own life's journey.  So I'm trying.  Most days I do okay.   I'm spending lots of time with my daughter and son-in-law and my husband and Tyler as we watch our almost two-week-old grand baby thrive.   Life does has its wonderful warm and sunny spots doesn't it?

Because I've been thinking about cycles, sunsets and sunrises... deaths and births...  I decided to try to paint another beautiful sunset from a series of photos I took a few summers ago.   It's interesting how beautiful sunsets can be.   A small goodby touched with the knowledge that in a little while we'll greet a new day again.

One summer my husband and I were visiting down in Venice Beach.... Santa Monica, CA.  
In the years before and after I first met my husband, Gastone, in Venice Italy, I was living in Venice, California.   He came to visit me that winter after we met and before we got married.  Many a time we walked the beach at sunset.  
On this day, we did it again.   It was dream-like.. and I enjoyed revisiting the moment by painting it.
Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin