Thursday, January 30, 2014

PLEIN AIR PAINTING and PREPERATORY SKETCH by TOM BROWN, CALIFORNIA HILLS and OAKS AT SUNSET


Winter rains bring welcome greenery to the hills in Southern California where I live. In summer months the hills turn brown, so I wanted to capture this moment on canvas.

Before beginning to paint I did several exploratory sketches to find the best composition. It’s an efficient way to work out the overall plan for a painting and avoid a false start when painting.

I’m showing one of my sketches here (the sketch is not for sale, however). In this sketch you can see the original vista I was considering, and how I eventually chose to select just the central portion. This was the part of the scene that truly caught my eye.

When I’m looking for fresh things to paint I sometimes take short painting trips like this, just going wherever the road leads me. I pull over when something catches my eye and paint it on the spot. Painting at the exact moment of inspiration seems to add something special to paintings.

This is another painting done like that, on the spur of the moment. Enjoy the view.

If this little jewel appeals to you, don’t let it get away. It’s one-of-a-kind and when it’s gone, it’s gone!

Thanks for looking.
Tom Brown

CLICK HERE FOR IMMEDIATE PURCHASE (no bidding):

CLICK HERE FOR MORE OF MY PAINTINGS:

No comments:

LinkWithin