Sunday, May 18, 2014

HOW TO MAKE A FREE POCHADE PAINT BOX by TOM BROWN

I thought it would be interesting to show this idea for a pochade box to the other artists who follow this blog. You can make it for virtually nothing. It’s small and portable, and it holds everything you need.

To make one just take any small cardboard box with a hinged lid like the one in the photo here. I mounted a gessoed Masonite panel inside the lid by taking rolled up bits of masking tape with the sticky side out and placing the tape on the back corners of the panel before pressing it into position in the lid of the box.

I then taped a sheet of palette paper in the base and put out my colors while still at home; this saves time messing around with tubes of paint later. (Tip: Use a limited palette to keep things simple.)

Keep the box closed with your panel and paints inside until you arrive wherever you’re going to paint. The box I used here is small enough to hold in my hand as I work. When I finished painting I just closed the box with my painting inside and I was packed to go.

A few related tips: To avoid using solvents or mediums on location, I added medium to my paints as I put them on my palette at home. I also took along a small packet of Kleenex to wipe the brush as I painted. I used only one brush, a short flat-bristled brush. You can see it in the photo. 

Painting on location is really fun, and will also help your studio painting improve as well. Give it a try using this compact setup; it costs absolutely nothing and you’ll have a great time with it. If you can, take along a few artist friends too; the more the merrier.

Check out my videos for more tips, tricks and techniques. They’re listed in the right-hand column of my blog: http://tombrownfineart.blogspot.com/

Thanks for stopping by, and I wish you HAPPY PAINTING!
Tom Brown

Click here to purchase this painting:
This painting is available for direct purchase from my Etsy store with no competitive bidding. It is one-of-a-kind and when it’s gone, it’s gone. So don’t let this one get away.

Thanks for stopping by,
Tom Brown

No comments:

LinkWithin