Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Adventure - Awards and a Nocturne

Lagoon
© Marian Fortunati
16" x 12" Oil on RayMar Canvas Board
Awards Are Always a Thrill!
Lagoon
is one of four paintings I have in a group show called "Award-Winning Artists" at the Topanga Canyon Inn Art Gallery.   I went to a very enjoyable reception last Saturday and was thrilled to learn that my painting had been selected as "Best Of Show".    The work of several wonderful painters was displayed in the show including that of Emily Goldfield, Charles Thomas, Miriam Thorin, Bruce Trentham and George Sanderson.

As I was talking to people attending the reception, one woman made many interesting comments about the painting including fascinating facts about the various birds.  I had no idea that there were several types of egrets and that she had been able to see all three types when she had been birding there at the Malibu Lagoon.   The Malibu Lagoon is a lovely spot, so if you ever get a chance, take some time and wander through.


Silverhawk Nocturne
Anticipating The Upcoming Adventure to the Channel Islands
I have three artist friends that I know who are also joining David Gallup's 5-day painting adventure boat trip to the Channel Islands.  The other women and I were busily exchanging emails about how many layers of clothing we should bring and whether or not we would bring wet-suits, etc.   Basically we were anxious about being too cold.  The male friend was busy making wet paint boxes.  We are all wondering how we will fit the sports gear, our clothes, our camping stuff AND or paint stuff on the boat. 

I will be off-line during this adventure (NO computers, cell phones, etc.!!) so I'll have to save up all of my thoughts.  We're meeting on Friday evening and sleeping on the boat which will leave at 4:00 a.m. on Saturday the 25th and won't return until Wednesday evening on the 30th.   I'm really hoping I'll have plenty of little paintings to bring back.  Because Dave had said we would do some painting at night and since I've only done two nocturnes EVER, I decided to paint a little one the other night....and was reminded that I basically am REALLY bad at nocturnes.   I painted it from my front balcony looking at the house and street light across the street with the mountain and moon behind that.  Marc Hanson is doing a whole month of  nocturnes and they are all fabulous.  Check them out!  We were told that Stephen Mirich, who is also on this Channel Islands trips is Dave Gallup's nocturne mentor... so perhaps my pitiful nocturne abilities will improve.

So a few more posts before Friday... and then it's off to yet another great adventure!!

No comments:

LinkWithin