Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fall is in the Plein Air by Southern California Artist Marian Fortunati

Fall Prophesy
© Marian Fortunati
9"x 12" Oil on RayMar Canvas Panel
$210 + s/h
If you would like to purchase this painting, click on this link HERE for information about how to purchase this painting.

Two days in a row of painting outdoors with fellow artists made the week very special!   On Thursday I drove to Temescal Canyon Park to meet artist friends from my local San Fernando Valley Art Club.  We have a new paint out chairperson, Trish Bennett, and she is just great.  Although I haven't been able to attend all of the paint outs, those that I have joined in with have shown me new and fun places to paint and I've been able to get to know other artists from my SFVAC a bit better.

Temescal Canyon Park is in Pacific Palisades.  In reality it's not far from Topanga State Beach Park where I painted on Wednesday, but it's a bit further south and, unfortunately, I decided not to go over Topanga Canyon Boulevard as I had on Wednesday.  The freeway was awful so I got off and tried to take surface streets which were almost as bad.  I ended up getting there much later than I had wanted to but found everyone else in the same boat.

At first I thought I was the only one there, but soon I found Trish and Janet Snodgrass.  When I arrived, there was still a lot of fog from the coast... I was hoping for sun today and thankfully after a short while the blue skies began to appear.  A bit later I talked with Andrew Schwartz and Mel Rosen as they scouted for a spot.  I walked all over and saw several possibilities.  Andrew was set up in a great place but by the time I walked back to my car to get my gear and then returned, the light had changed and so I decided to go back to an area where a wonderful tree had caught my eye.  California is not a state with a huge seasonal change.... our changes are more subtle than those of some states... but they are changes.  This beautiful tree's upper leaves foretold of the fall that is fast approaching, yet its lower branches were the bright green of spring...  It was breathtaking.
Diane Nelson Gold and I set up next to one another and chatted away happily as we painted.  Both of us are going to be joining David Gallup and Stephen Mirich who are leading a painting adventure to the Channel Islands starting out at 4:00 a.m. on September 25th.   We were discussing what to wear and bring .... and we are both getting excited.  I understand that there are a few spaces left if you're up for a grand adventure.  Wouldn't you LOVE to join us???  Contact David Gallup for details.

I was pretty happy with my painting.  I think I captured the feeling of the day.  I hope everyone else had as great a day as I did.  Two days of painting filled with pleasure is a prophesy of a great year to come!

No comments:

LinkWithin