Saturday, September 18, 2010

It's That Plein Air Feeling

Beach Day Fog
© Marian Fortunati
14" x 11" Oil on RayMar Canvas Panel

$300 +s/h

If you wold like this painting, click this link for Pay Pal information.

Wednesday was the day of the monthly paint out for the Malibu / Ventura Chapter of the California Art Club.  I was looking forward to it.   I love paint outs. 

I haven't been able to attend a paint out in a few months and although I painted regularly and even painted outside ... like on the porch or through a window ... , it just isn't the same.  There is something very special about going out in nature and painting alongside other people.

  1. First of all, you're outside. - Often you're in a spot you have never explored before.  Outside you can really look at and luxuriate in the beauty that surrounds you.  The beauty changes as the seasons change or as the daylight changes... so even in the same spot you can enjoy an different experience. 
  2. Next you're with a group of people.  Some you know.  Some you are just meeting.  Each artist is painting a similar scene ... not always the same scene but similar.  You all have the same weather conditions, etc.  Yet amazingly each piece of artwork is unique.  Each artist brings his or her own energy and idea which is stimulating in itself.
  3. There is a feeling of anticipation before we start.  Each of us exploring and scouting for the perfect scene that just does it for us... it takes our breath away  ... it inspires us..... it challenges us.
  4. I always think of the impressionists who painted the same scenes -- often together.  Their paintings are their own.. undeniable unique and identifiable -just like ours.
 There weren't a lot of painters that foggy morning at Topanga Beach State Park.  George Malone, the organizer of these monthly paint outs was there.  (Thank you SO much, George!!)  I ran into Timothy Tien who had gotten there early and was almost finished with his first study before I even set up.  Later, I met Diane Nelson-Gold and her friend Diane, whom I've met before.  Also there was Joe Napolitano. We all had a great time together at lunch... exchanging ideas and experiences.  Sometimes there is a small group -- sometimes a rather large group... you never know ... but it's always a treat!

I had figured it would be foggy so I wasn't disappointed when I drove over the hill from the sunny valley and began to see the grey creeping up the canyon.  I hadn't painted at Topanga Beach before and at first as I walked around, I had trouble imagining anything that would inspire me.  It was just a flat grey beach... no rocks... flat.   I walked back up to the car and then over on top of the cliff and saw Tim painting the oncoming traffic... He had already captured a bit of beauty.  If he could, I could.   There was an outlet from a creek that pooled up under a bridge for the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) and as I walked out onto the spit of land that stuck out into the ocean, I looked back onshore and I saw layers of fog shrouding the far trees.  It reminded me of a painting I had seen that Marion Wachtel had painted.  I love the way some great painters can make those trees seem mysterious and ghostly.  THAT would be part of my painting.  ... I would try it.  In the foreground the reflections of the tall mid-ground trees sometimes were static and sometimes rippled in a breeze.  Maybe I could catch that as well with the algae bloom scum that floated on the water.

There is a a kind of euphoria that comes when you're really in the zone of painting en plein air.  I don't know if I can really explain it, but I imagine many of you have felt it.  I enjoy painting any time, but painting with other painters outside on a wonderful day is beyond happiness.    I hope you all have experienced it..... or will.

VOTE NOW

Elena Roché is exhibiting works of six award-winning artists at her gallery at the Topanga Canyon Inn, and will be hosting an art reception this Saturday, September 18, 3:00 - 6:00 pm.  The best of show award will be given to one artist and one of his or her artworks that gets the most votes.  All are invited to come to the reception and to vote by email for the best of show award.  Please email your vote by Saturday, September 18, 2:00 pm.

To vote:
1.  Go to http://www.topangacanyoninn.com/Juried%20show.htm and preview artworks.
2.  Click on the tile of a painting of your choice, an email window will come up and it will have the title of the painting as a subject.
3.  Click send.

Please share this link with your friends, to generate more votes.

No comments:

LinkWithin