Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Jugos Y Tortas by Southern California Artist Marian Fortunati

Jugos Y Tortas by Marian Fortunati
Jugos Y Tortas
©Marian Fortunati
14" x 11" Oil on RayMar Panel
Delicious Tortas
While exploring the City of San Fernando for the upcoming show, I stopped by a tortilleria on Maclay east of La Galeria Gitana.  Tortas are basically Mexican sandwiches and they are delicious!  When I walked in the door, I was greeted by a lovely young woman who was standing behind a series of jugs full of what I think of as juices or "jugos".  I later found that these are called "aguas".   I guess they are flavored waters, but I still think of them as juices.

Anyway I was entranced by the lovely colors of the liquids in the jugs and decided that it might make a good painting to include in the show.  It is one of two figurative pieces that I completed to celebrate San Fernando's 100th year since incorporation.

I left off all of the clutter of signs and papers tacked to the wall behind the young lady and simply added word signs.

Apparently painting this piece was a good idea because Karen, the gallery curator / director, seemed to like it and said that this type of thing would also be good to place in some of the restaurants where she places paintings around town.  So... I guess if it isn't snatched off the wall during the reception on Saturday, January 22 from 6:00 to 10:00 or anytime during the exhibit until March, it has a chance at another life in San Fernando.

Baby, It's COLD Outside
Although the weatherman had told us that it would be warming up, it's still plenty cold outside.  This little wimpy Southern California gal was hoping to go out plein air painting tomorrow, but... I may wimp out.   I know all of you who live in snow for a good part of the year have no sympathy for this... but it is how it is and I yam what I yam!!

No comments:

LinkWithin