Thursday, March 24, 2011

Upheaval - Southern California Original Landscape Painting - Vasquez Rocks - Marian Fortunati


 
Upheaval
© Marian Fortunati
16" x 20" Oil on RayMar Canvas Panel
 

For years I have driven by the Vasquez Rocks o my way home from visiting Mojave or Bishop or Mammoth.  They can easily be seen from the 14 Freeway and evoke all of the acquired history lessons about the outlaw who evaded authorities while hiding out in these rock formations.  In 1873 and 1874 Tiburcio Vásquez - one of California's most notorious bandits - used these rocks to elude capture by law enforcement. His name has since been associated with this geologic feature.

The rock formations are beautiful and are really an awesome reminder of the geologic changes brought about by earth movements along the San Andreas Fault.

 
Marian, Laura, Nita, George, Dyane, Lani,
Diane, Sharon all enjoying lunch
 
On Wednesday of last week we had an ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL day.   Storms were predicted for the upcoming weekend but Wednesday, the day the the CAC scheduled its monthly Paint-Out was perfect.   It wasn't too hot nor too cold.  There was a light breeze which pushed the puffy clouds across the blue sky.  Vasquez Rocks Park is quite spread out and all of the painters were too.   I  arrived later than usual and chatted with a few other painters then found a place I liked to set up and got to work.
 
Mighty Vasquez Rocks
My plein air study
 

What fun we all had.  I worked on a little 8x10 piece using the brush and my palette knife and it turned out okay,  but I wasn't thrilled with it.  After a few hours, we all gathered for lunch and had a great time exchanging ideas and information.  These get togethers are so great.  They're fun AND you can learn so much.

After I got home, I decided to paint a larger painting of the awesome rock formations.    I like it better than my little study.

If you live anywhere near the Ventura / Malibu area, check out the paint out schedule on the California Art Club's event calendar.   Join the group for lots of fun!
Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin