Friday, April 29, 2011

Sittin' In The Shade - A California Landscape by Marian Fortunati


 
Sittin' In The Shade
© Marian Fortunati
18" x 14" Oil on RayMar Canvas Panel


 

I kept reminiscing about the idyllic time I had when I visited the north campus of the University Of California at Santa Barbara last month.   So, because I paint every day, and because I can't go outside to paint every day for one reason or another, I sometimes rely on photos and memories.   I had completed a 12" x 16" plein air painting while on site, (Still Water Reflections), but the area begged for more "exposure".  This painting, "Sittin' In The Shade", is the result.

There is a shady spot north of the University of California - Santa Barbara campus called Devereaux Slough.    In the grass under a beautiful old eucalyptus tree is a sign that reads that parking is only allowed for bird watchers and painters.   Obviously, many painters have found their muse there ... I felt honored to be sitting there in the shade.   It was a peaceful place to sit and enjoy the egrets and cormorants and herons that populated the slough.   A spectacular view was there for everyone's enjoyment.

When I visited the wonderful Gold Medal Show of the California Art Club I saw two wonderful paintings inspired by this same area.   One was created by Paul Panossian and another (which won an award) was painted by Marcia Burtt.

Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin