Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Colorful China Cove - California Coastal Painting by Marian Fortunati


 
Colorful China Cove
© Marian Fortunati
30" x 24" Oil on Canvas


 
China Cove is just south of Carmel, California, on the gorgeous Monterey Peninsula.  It is a beautiful spot to hike and the prevailing winds can change the scene overnight.  When the sun, winds and tides are favorable, the cove is a brilliant and sparkling emerald color.   In this scene, the winds have pushed the bright copper-colored kelp up into the cove, filling it with color which virtually matches the ice plants that cascade off the cliffs and which top them off with a vibrant, almost spiritual splendor.

I've been working on this off and on now for several weeks.  I have painted quite a few paintings of this area as a result of a painting trip I took  a few years back -- I think another trip is due once my husband is feeling better.   (Point Lobos Poetry,    Monterey Magic,    China Cove Cliffs)

The fact that I haven't actually finished many paintings is probably due to a combination of things.  I've been plein air painting several times, but haven't posted anything because it just isn't happening for me right now.  Not only have I got several studio pieces "in process" that I've decided to take some time with, but I've also been worried about my husband who went in for hip replacement surgery last Friday.  Although he's pretty miserable now, I think it should all get better from here, so although I'm playing nurse a lot more, at least the anticipation part is over.   Such is life.   This last year has certainly taught me that today's medicine can make great improvements in our lives and even bring us back from disaster!

Be well, be creative and enjoy life!
Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin