Friday, May 27, 2011

"Dead Man's Curve" - a Southern California Plein Air Landscape by Marian Fortunati

Dead Man's Curve
© Marian Fortunati
12"x9" Oil on RayMar Linen Panel
$200




Do you ever feel this way?   - Like you are trying to walk through molasses?

I haven't gone out painting in a few weeks.   Happily, my husband is making real progress, and we are both looking forward to him regaining the independence we are both accustomed to very soon.  But in the meantime, I'm home.  Oh, I've gone out to a few art receptions, which is a great way to see many friends and enjoy a diverse range of art.  Last night was the artists' reception for a wonderful show in Pasadena at the Women's City Club called "Spring Forward".   Four of my paintings were juried in to the show and I thought the reception was fabulous.  It was so crowded that I had to park way up the street and walk down to get there.  I met a lot of new people and had a wonderful time talking to them and to "old" friends and acquaintances.  The show will be hung until July so if you're in the area, go on by to see some great art AND a fabulous historical house - The Blinn House.

Why I get to feeling this way (like walking through molasses), I can't tell you.  I know I am extremely fortunate.  Maybe I just need a plein air fix to get me going again.  I'm aiming for a day next week.

In the meantime, I've worked on a few paintings I started in plein air before Gastone's surgery.  The one posted on this page was started on a day Sharon Weaver and I headed out to paint at the beach.   We got up over the hill and looked out toward the ocean and saw nothing but a big bank of fog!  So we turned around and explored a bit.  We got out at an overlook and decided to paint.  I was entranced by the ranges of mountains that seemed to vanish in the thick atmosphere of the day.  Although it was "clear" where we were painting, obviously the air was "thick"...  lots of atmosphere... like molasses.  I  titled the painting "Dead Man's Curve" because while we were there a city worker was repairing the signs that he says are constantly knocked down by people racing their cars and motor cycles up the Mulholland Highway.   I had a visual of someone racing down the hill and not quite making the curve before flying off into the abyss.  

I've come to the conclusion that people seem to be attracted to "pretty" colors in my work but on this painting I stuck with pretty much what colors were there.   I think it still works.    Do you?

Can you hear Jan and Dean singing the song???   The actual place made famous by their song and Jan's near fatal accident wasn't on Mulholland Highway - I believe it was on one of the curves on Sunset Blvd, but the effect is the same.

No comments:

LinkWithin