Monday, May 30, 2011

Malibu Creek Reflections - a Southern California Plein Air Landscape by Marian Fortunati


 
Malibu Creek Reflections
© Marian Fortunati
11"x14" Oil on RayMar Panel

$350
 


The week before my husband's surgery I was trying to anticipate many weeks ahead of being home while he was working on regaining his strength and ability to get around with his new "bionic" hip.  I knew that the California Art Club's monthly paint out was scheduled for the following week and that I probably wouldn't be able to join the group, so I decided to visit Malibu Creek State Park alone.

This is one of many jewels in the system of California State Parks.  It saddens me when I hear that so many parks are being closed because of our tremendous money woes.  I only hope that if we manage to get our state budget under control and regain some services, that the State Parks are among the first to be restored.

It was a perfect day with cool, crisp air and a beautiful blue sky... Clouds floated by but were not threatening.  I hiked more than I usually do when I go to the park to paint with all of my gear.  I crossed the creek (getting my foot wet when I didn't quite make it from one rock to another) and hiked across the plain to the Visitor Center... which was closed.  Then I went over the bridge and back toward this beautiful gorge.  

I felt I hadn't been there before.... but yet I had.   I KNOW that the place I ended up and where I painted really looked familiar, but I also know that I had never hiked in the way that I did that day.   I totally enjoyed sitting by the stream and listening to the water running over the rocks as I painted.  I was entranced by the beautiful colors that played in the reflections of the water.   ... just heavenly!.....

Vic Riseau - CAC Artist Member  
   
When I returned home, I looked back in my archives and realized that I MUST have been nearby before because a painting a did years ago from photos of the area looks eerily similar.    (The Gorge At Malibu Creek)   It's different, of course... not done or even started en plein air, but too similar not to be the same scene.   However, my memory of getting to this place differs so totally that I am now feeling the need to get a map of the park so I can solve my own mystery.

Here's another image of somewhere very nearby done by the wonderfully versatile California Art Club Artist member, Vic Riseau.  I saw it in the CAC newsletter that just came in my mail and thought you all would like to see it also.  I am in awe of this man's skills.   Isn't it wonderful?

Anyway... I totally enjoyed my day.   I got my mind away from worries and really did get some great exercise, hiking all over this beautiful park.   My wish for all of you is to share the joy of being outside in a beautiful place doing what you love to do!  - Be well.

Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin