Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Buckwheat Field Study - Southern California Plein Air Painting by Marian Fortunati



Buckwheat Field Study
© Marian Fortunati
(contact me if you are interested in this painting)

Although in reality, my husband's recovery from hip surgery has been remarkably fast, staying in to be around for help and support has seemed longer than reality and has made me yearn for painting en plein air.

I love to paint outside and on Thursday of last week, the weather and my husband's hip all cooperated so that I was able to join my two friends, Laura and Diane, out at Hansen Dam in the northeast part of the San Fernando Valley.   It was a perfect day.  Not too hot, not too cool, not too windy.   We all had fun and just enjoyed being together to paint.  We all paint very differently, which is another reason to enjoy going out with friends.  I love to soak up information and hints from them.

I was entranced with the bushes that were all around us.   Each friend had a different idea about the name of the plant.  One said it was rabbit bush and another said it was buckwheat.   I'm not sure which it was.  I googled each one and am leaning toward buckwheat but who knows.  The rabbit bush appeared to have yellow flowers and these were more... buckwheat colored.   Whatever it was I tried to capture the "flavor" of it as I looked back through the trees at the dam.


Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin