Monday, August 22, 2011

Heartland - A Barn Landscape by Marian Fortunati




Heartland
© Marian Fortunati
12"x16" Oil on RayMar Panel



Click on the link above for details
and Pay Pal information.

Right smack dab in the middle of our very suburban San Fernando Valley (north-west of downtown Los Angeles in California) there are still relics of an older, more pastoral past.  Surrounded by condos, homes and apartments, this vestige of an earlier time stays to remind us of a  valley way of life that existed not long ago.

Every time I pass by, I'm always relieved to see that it hasn't been lost to urban development.

I took a few photos along the way so I could visually explain the "no sketching" process I'm trying to practice:



First tone the canvas using the middle tone. 
Wipe out the lights.





Begin putting in darks and lights.
Continue adding color and interest... Vary brushwork.
I finally finish up by making corrections in the drawing or adjustments in the composition and color.    It was interesting...   I almost forgot to put the "color" into the roof of the barn.   

This is a "finished" painting....  but I've begun to finally learn over time that sometimes letting a painting sit against the wall to be revisited after the first blush of painting has worn off helps you see things that will enable you to improve the painting.   

Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin