Friday, August 19, 2011

Nick - A Figurative Male Study by Marian Fortunati


 
  Nick
© Marian Fortunati
12"x9" Oil on canvas panel






One of the many things I've learned over time is that painting -- whatever genre you decide to embrace, takes lots and lots and lots of practice.   I've also recently realized that my true goal... what I REALLY WANT .... is to continually grow and become a better painter each time I paint.    Of course I'd like to sell my work.... show my work... market my work.... and I read and learn from all of you who share your ideas and expertise, but my true goal is continual growth.

And to do that I need to always be drawing, and painting.  It doesn't really matter WHAT I draw or paint.  Those of you who follow my blog know that my heart soars when I'm outside painting in the beautiful areas I get to see not far from my home.   But painting rolls of paper towels and turp jars to learn about values and edges and color like we did in David Gallup's class two weeks ago, is learning.    Sketching faces frozen by my "pause" button on my TV is learning.  And going to the uninstructed figure class that Julie Snyder organizes to paint a model is learning.




Last week we painted Nick at the McGroarty Art Center.  Nick is a civil engineering student who dances (with long sheets of cloth) and now, happily for us, he models.   Although I arrived late, I still was able to find a spot I liked from which to paint.  It was fun to try to capture a bit of a likeness in the short class.   It's not perfect.   His head is up too high, but I was pretty happy because I used the method David Gallup uses of toning the canvas in a mid range value and wiping out the lights instead of drawing in the figure.  David says that when we draw things in we become enamored with the sketch and don't want to paint outside the lines.   So while keeping the likeness, I tried hard to vary my edges and to create interesting color, values, brushwork and edge work.  

Like I said....  all it takes is practice, practice and more practice.   I so love learning!

 
Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin