Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Spirit of the Sea - A Plein Air Seascape by Marian Fortunati



Spirit of the Sea
© Marian Fortunati
8"x10" Oil on RayMar Panel



Click on the above link for details about this painting or Pay Pal information
Leo Carrillo State Beach sits on the coast north of Malibu and South of Point Mugu.  It is a paradise for earth lovers and painters, having a wide variety of types of scenes... from beach and waves, to long-range coastal to more intimate ones featuring the dance between sea and rocky shore.  I've painted here many times and each time it is different in temperature, mood, color and feeling.   I love Leo Carrillo!

On this particular day we were together in a Master Class with David Gallup.   He did a demo of the same view and I tried really hard to do it as well as he had done.   I painted two paintings on this day, so I'll include photos of some of the steps of his demo on my next post.

However,  one thing that David said  really stuck with me..   It absolutely resonated.   I'm going to try to paraphrase the essence of what he said:   He told us to look at that particular moment of whatever it was that caught our eye...-- in this case the brief moment of the spray of sea foam as it rushed out from the rocks after certain waves crashed upon them ...  and to think of that special moment of "being" as a special gift ... a gift to capture in our painting and to share with others.


Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin