Monday, September 5, 2011

California Coastal - A Plein Air California Coastal Scene at Leo Carrillo State Beach by Marian Fortunati



California Coastal
© Marian Fortunati
8"x10" Oil on RayMar Panel



Click on the above link for
details and Pay Pal information


 
 
 
 






I had the opportunity to visit Leo Carrillo State Beach twice in the same week.   Actually I think I could visit it every day and find a different scene each time.   On this day I joined with friends from the California Art Club.  George Malone, who schedules the monthly paint outs for the Ventura/Malibu Chapter of the CAC scheduled this one in the late afternoon. 

I usually paint in the morning.  The light is totally different in the afternoon.   The shadows are long and the sky reflects into the sea differently.    For this painting, I walked down to the northern beach and looked south toward the rocks and cliffs.  I was trying to catch the play of light on the waves and the long shadows cast by the rocks.  At that time of the day, the light changes rapidly and by the time I had to leave, the scene was entirely different.... almost mystical.

A week or so after I painted this my Dad called me up to let me know that Hewell Houser was having a show at Leo Carrillo.  I don't usually watch that show, but turned it on because he suggested it.  Actually I learned a lot about the movie lore of the area and even discovered a new spot to paint.  Now I'll have to go back....  Want to try to time it around low tide so I can discover the "pirate" cave on my own.   LOL

There's really very little better than painting with friends on a gorgeous day.  Here are a few photos of some of my CAC friends painting on that beautiful afternoon:



 Bernard Fallon and
Diane Nelson-Gold laugh it up.

 Joe Napolitano, George Malone,
and Dyane Jackson chat.







I'm getting very excited.   I leave this coming Friday for another Channel Islands Adventure.  I went last year with David Gallup and 20 or so fabulous artists.  It was a grand adventure and a chance to see a unique and beautiful part of our Southern California.   I can't wait to see it again.   I'll post once before Friday but then I'll be off-line for a while.

When I return, it will be about the time for my monthly newsletter.    I'd be honored if you are interested and take a moment to sign up to receive free updates in information by clicking here:  

 
Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin