Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Safe Spot - a Southern California woodland landscape by California Artist Marian Fortunati


A Safe Spot
© Marian Fortunati
12" x 16" Oil On RayMar Linen Panel


One beautiful day I met a few other painters at Leo Carrillo State Park.  But it wasn't the part of the park I had painted at before.  It was the inland section.  Since I was trying to learn all I could from David Gallup, a fabulous artist and a great teacher, I tried to paint what he suggested.   It didn't work out well.  

However, THIS scene remained in my mind.   I loved the way the light filtered through the leaves in the sycamore as I looked through the tiny canyon created by the creek.  The long sycamore branch was reaching out and casting shadows across the clearing.

Since that week, the weather here in SoCal has turned cold and rainy.  We absolutely need the rain and I usually like the cozy feeling of being warm and dry at home, but after what seemed like forever of not getting out I am sooooo looking forward to painting outside!!!

However, I did get LOTS of painting done in the studio.   Let's see...  This was #2 of 5 new paintings.   Not bad.  

By the way...  Did you ever look through those "Where's Waldo?" books??    I was walking back from volunteering in Tyler's class and right in front of me was the cutest little critter.   I decided he'd look great in this painting.   Do you see him???
Comment on or Share this Article >>

No comments:

LinkWithin